Education | 7-year-old Lombard girl providing masks for the homeless, with an even bigger goal in mind
A Lombard girl wants to establish a hotel for homeless people. So she's selling masks and collecting donations to raise money to help her vision someday come true, while helping homeless stay safe by covering their faces now.
Education | State releases plan for schools to reopen this fall; now it's up to suburban districtsChildren across Illinois are expected to return to school this fall -- a welcome development after months of remote learning but one bringing challenges and changes in the COVID-19 era.
News | Cook Memorial library board president resigns over homophobic statementsEmbroiled in controversy over homophobic statements she had made, Cook Memorial Public Library District board President Bonnie Quirke on Tuesday resigned from the panel.
Business | New Mediterranean restaurant coming to SchaumburgSchaumburg trustees Tuesday approved a new restaurant in the village for the first time in months, just days before the expected start of Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan that would allow a limited amount of indoor dining at restaurants.
News | Inverness woman killed in fiery Wheeling crashThe Cook County medical examiner's office has identified an Inverness woman as the victim in a fiery crash in Wheeling Tuesday.
News | Aurora police in standoff with man barricaded in houseAurora police are responding to a barricaded man in a home on the 500 block of Bangs Street.
News | Black Lives Matter activists in Elgin list six demands about policeActivists in Elgin have generated a list of demands to the city related to policing, including diverting police funds to mental health and other social services, and forcing the resignation of an officer who fatally shot a woman in 2018.
News | A 'sign of progress': Wheaton celebrates LGBTQ+ PridePride art now emblazons dozens of downtown Wheaton storefronts with vibrant displays of rainbow flags, hearts and welcoming messages.
Cubs | Baseball's back: MLB sets 60-game schedule, opens July 23 or 24Major League Baseball issued a 60-game schedule Tuesday night that will start July 23 or 24 in empty ballparks as the sport tries to push ahead amid the coronavirus following months of acrimony.
Music | A song to make you smile: 'Shiny Happy People' by R.E.M.Here's a song chosen to lift you out of your coronavirus funk.
Columns | Feder: WGN Radio's Ji Suk Yi moving to 'News Nation'"News Nation," the national news startup at WGN America, has tapped Chicago media personality Ji Suk Yi as the face and voice of breaking news cut-ins in the morning for NewsNationNow.com and its app.
Politics | Phase 4 of reopening Friday: What you need to know, and what doctors warnGov. J.B. Pritzker announced guidelines for residents, business and industries as the state eases more restrictions related to COVID-19 on Friday that will reopen movie theaters, indoor restaurants and youth sports with restrictions.
- 9:47 AMAppeals court orders dismissal of Michael Flynn prosecution
- 9:38 AMStreet and stormwater improvements among Northbrook's capital projects
- 9:27 AMPurdue expels student for racist statements on social media
- 9:25 AMBraidy Industries hires new CEO to oversee mill project
- 9:23 AMStocks move lower on Wall Street as coronavirus cases surge
More Suburban NewsFind your community
- WinfieldCaring in Action: Winfield photographer rallies neighbors to raise money to battle hunger
- BataviaBatavia VFW planning mini Fourth of July parade for kids
- WheelingWheeling man suspected in homicide to appear in court Monday
- Aurora11 years in prison for Aurora man for attempted murder in break-up
- PalatineColorful longtime Palatine community volunteer dies from COVID-19 complications
- Prep SportsHoffman Estates soccer legend Ken Snow dies
- Downers GroveDowners Grove community mourns death of South student killed in hit-and-run
- Lake CountyLake County state's attorney candidate lays out police accountability plan
- WaukeganHealth officials issue COVID-19 warning to those who attended Waukegan basketball tourney
- DuPage CountySmall businesses will get help from DuPage County program
- GrayslakeNew trail section links thousands to Rollins Savanna
- WaukeganNorth Chicago man suffers minor gunshot wound in Waukegan
- 9:40 PMBensenville celebrates Father's Day with Classic Car Cruise
- 5:36 PMLombard Mennonite Peace Center offers workshop on leadership and anxiety
- 4:49 PMGeneva Cultural Arts Commission cancels summer concerts; Shakespeare in the Park goes virtual
- 4:21 PMGeneva to suspend water tax, waive renewal fees
- 1:18 PMWarrenville's Summer Daze canceled; returns in August 2021
- 12:19 PMRep. Amy Grant launches Student Spotlight program
- 12:15 PMSt. Joseph Catholic Church in Libertyville offers more Masses
- 12:12 PMKiwanis Club members donates $1,000 to pantry
Inside Daily Herald